Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blog #4: Being Involved



Being involved in anything is worth while if you ask me… Well if you weren’t asking my I wouldn’t be answering this question ha ha ha I am very involved all over the spectrum of our Omaha. I play piano for my worship team, (adult and youth). I also am a teacher and assistant in my churches daycare and nursery facility. Being involved has shown me that I am something small that needs to be apart of something bigger than myself in order to thrive. I love joining that I am apart of a greater cause. Much like the summer scholars program. Everything I am involved with should and usually does have a purpose.

Outside of my church I am very active in mentoring and also in bible summer camps. I help counsel and mentor children in middles schools and even in grades as high as 11th grade. Mentoring gives me an idea of what it was like to be me asking questions, getting answers, and also applying what I have learned.

I have realized that being involved usually has two outcomes that affect it: money, and the “What am I going to get out of this?” attitude. Once you throw money into an equation of help, people will come from miles even “light-years” away in order to help. Money gives people a basis of how little can they do in order to get the reword that bribed them to even join what ever it is they have joined.

I have realized that people with attitudes that help themselves really don’t get very far doing anything. When the only thing on your mind is “How is his going to benefit me?” your work effort tends to degenerate. The one that that really makes me mad is when people join organizations or volunteer, only to get a signature, community service hours, and or something that will look good on a resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment